Monday, November 3, 2014

Book Review: "The Perfect Blend" by Deanne Durrett


I had previously read and reviewed "Lucy's Mansion" by Deanne Durrett, so when she asked if I'd like to read and review "The Perfect Blend", I agreed.  She gifted me a free copy of "The Perfect Blend" so I would be able to review it.

"The Perfect Blend" starts up right where "Lucy's Mansion" left off, with Becca McGee and JT Harrison having just gotten engaged.  Marie Springfield is thrilled to be Becca's maid of honor, but she also is a bit jealous that Becca will now likely have another baby, while she is widowed without any children.  She decides that she needs to do something about being childless.  Slade Turner walks into her second hand clothing store as the best man in the wedding, but he has ulterior motives.  He wants to get to know Marie.   His wife left him for another man and now he would like what he's always wanted, a wife who loves him and wants kids.  He sees Marie as the answer to that problem. So when it seems that Marie cares more about the pregnant, aged-out foster kid, Chloe, and her plans to adopt the baby, he wonders if they can get around this obstacle.

Marie and Slade are both in  "Lucy's Mansion" so I'd "met" them there, but it was nice to get to know them a little better through "The Perfect Blend".  I enjoyed the book.  I felt a little bit like Slade came into the book already sure that Marie was the woman he needed, and felt a little short changed that we didn't get to see him falling in love with her.  Towards the end of the book, he does show/express how much he loves her, so I felt better about that.  I didn't guess what JT's suggestion to Slade as the solution to their obstacle and how they could make the perfect blend of a family.   I would have liked to find out what the favor Slade did for JT was that made him leave town for a few days.   I really wanted to smack Julia Monks and Trudy Fox for trying to interfere with Becca's "new money" again!  I liked how Deanne Durrett put a "cast of characters" at the beginning of the book so you can be aware of who all the players in the story were.   I loved that the characters wish to do what God wants them to do.

  • File Size: 2416 KB
  • Print Length: 212 pages
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B00NDB6JLM

1 comment:

Ed & Dottie said...

Sounds like a good book, maybe one that would be hard to put down. I'd have to read the first book first though to get the real story.