Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Review: Seed Starting by Gary Emmett


I love to garden and in the past have tried to start my own plants from seed.  Usually they end up dying before I get them planted or right after they are in the ground.  Another problem I run into is that my plants are gangly and leggy.   I wanted to try my hand at starting some heirloom seeds this year, but was a little apprehensive due to my past lack of success!   Enter, "Seed Starting" by Gary Emmett....

This was a very informative, easy to read book.  I found it very useful to know what I need to do to make my seed starting more successful.  Some of the points I found the most useful to me were:
  • when to start seeds inside (I usually start them all at the same time)
  • which seeds to just start outside and when (I thought you had to wait until after the last frost)
  • what kind of "soil" to use and not use (I've tried using garden soil before)
  • how to transplant the plants to larger containers (I usually just leave them in the original pot)
I'm excited to give the ideas presented in the book a try!  This book is good for absolute beginners as well as those (like me) who've done some seed starting before with limited success. 

"Seed Starting" is available on Amazon as a Kindle ebook (I used the Kindle for PC app) for $2.99.

I was provided a free copy of this book for my honest review.  I did not receive any other compensation for this review.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Great Review. I've started from seeds as well, but never inside, so I was excited to learn.