Sunday, September 2, 2007

Vegetable Dyed Yarn

Dan wanted to try dyeing some yarn using vegetables. We did some with the tops of beets, carrots, and beets.

We prepared all the yarns in water with alum and cream of tartar.

This is using the tops of beets to get a dye bath.

We strained the pieces out and put the yarn in.

This is the yarn after it was all done.

We didn't take a picture of the carrot dye bath, but this is the yarn after we were done next to the original color yarn.

This is the beets dye bath.

Here is the yarn right after we pulled it out of the beets.

This is after we rinsed the yarn off. It is laying on top of the original color yarn. We were a little disappointed with the color it turned out. We were hoping for at least a pink!

No comments: