Friday, June 5, 2015

Book Review: "Silver Spurs" by Miralee Ferrell


"Silver Spurs" by Miralee Ferrell is the 2nd in the Horses and Friends series. While it would be possible to start with Silver Spurs, I would recommend starting at the beginning of the series with "A Horse for Kate" so you can get to know the characters better.

Kate Ferris has gotten her greatest wish, to have her own horse. But she wants to be able to take in boarders to raise more money to be able to get a lesson horse for her best friend Tori to learn on. When Melissa Tolbert brings her horse to board at their barn, Tori and Kate are upset because Melissa is mean to them at school. How will they be able to enjoy hanging out at the barn if Melissa is there, too?

I read "Silver Spurs" with my daughter (her review is below). She is in the "target age" of the book, but I still enjoyed reading the book. I liked how Kate is a realistic kid with fears and frustrations that she has to deal with. Miralee does a good job of incorporating life lessons into the story in a way that is not heavy or overpowering.

This is a great book for girls, horse lovers, and mothers of girls/horse lovers ☺

My 9 year old daughter's review (Spoilers)

Silver Spurs is a very detailed book. For example, the book is called and talks about silver spurs, I mean, they could have just said spurs. My favorite part of the book is when Melissa won the silver spurs. I think that it was very generous of Kate to offer Capri to Melissa. If I were Kate, I would have begged Mrs. Jamison to let me take lessons on jumping so that I could compete for the silver spurs. I would be thrilled if I won the silver spurs!

      -Emily Dempsey, Becky Dempsey's daughter


"Silver Spurs" is available for Kindle:
  • File Size: 2534 KB
  • Print Length: 240 pages
  • Publisher: David C. Cook (June 1, 2015)
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B00U0RA92M

and in paperback:
  • Age Range: 8 - 12 years
  • Series: Horses and Friends
  • Paperback: 240 pages
  • Publisher: David C. Cook (June 1, 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0781411130
  • ISBN-13: 978-0781411134
  • Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 5.3 x 0.5 inches

I received a digital ARC through Netgalley in order for me to give my honest review. I did not receive any other form of compensation and all opinions are my own (except for those of my daughter ☺)

No comments: