I crocheted a base made to fit Will's head. I used only the front loops so I could attach the hair to the other loop.
I wrapped yarn around a notebook I had and cut it along one side:
|I ended up with pieces about 7" long|
I attached the yarn in every other loop:
Originally, I was going to make all the yarn gray, but looking at pictures, I realized that he had darker hair at the bottom and lighter hair at the top, so I used three kinds of yarn.
The next step was to separate all the yarn into the individual plies:
Next, I brushed the yarn:
We ended up with a lot of fluff that brushed out:
The final step was to iron the hair:
Some comparison shots: